GKS stands for Global Korea Scholarship. It's a prestigious scholarship given by Korean government to meritorious students from all over the world. The scholarship is managed by NIIED (National Institute for International Education), Govt. of Republic of Korea.

Korean Government’s Global Korea Scholarship Program aims to invite international students who wish to pursue a graduate & post-graduate level degree in Korea.

Achieve Your Dream

Selection Procedure

My Photo

Download GKS Application Form

How all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born.

  • GKS Undergraduate

  • GKS Graduate

Undergraduate Programme

The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) also offers an undergraduate program for international students who wish to pursue their bachelor's degrees in South Korea.

Graduate Program

The Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) also offers a graduate program for international students who wish to pursue their master's or doctoral degrees in South Korea.

Involment & Activities

How all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born.

GKS 2023 Successful Candidates Embassy Track

Shrinking from pain these perfectly simple and easy distinguish.

  • Creative Industries
  • Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

GKS 2023 Successful Candidates University Track

The saying through shrinking from pain these cases perfectly.

  • Competitions
  • Foresee the pain and trouble

5 GKS Scholarship Tips To Improve Your Chances

Every void in certain circumstances owing to the claims of duty.

  • National Level Cultural Event
  • Celebrities


How all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born.

  • GKS Undergraduate

  • GKS Undergraduate

  • May I apply for the program by submitting my application to NIIED directly?

    No, you may not. Applications must apply and submit their application documents to a Korean Embassy where they hold citizenship or directly to one of the partner universities. Since each embassy/university that conducts the first round of selection may have different application submission guidelines, please check with the embassy/university regarding any submission related inquiries such as application deadline, etc. Even if you are currently residing in Korea or in a different country and you are to apply via embassy track, you must submit your application documents to the Korean embassy in the country where you hold citizenship.

  • Can I just submit an original degree certificate and academic transcript?

    The required certificates must be apostilled or confirmed by Consulate/Embassy. Notarized or original documents are not acceptable for the required certificates. (Exception: required certificate issued by Korean government or institutions should be submitted in their original version without additional authentication.)

  • I can only apostille on my original certificate which I cannot issue again in the future. Can I submit a photocopy of the apostilled document?

    Please have your documents notarized and get a consular confirmation. Or, you may send us a certified true copy of your apostilled documents if you need to keep your original document. Please have the documents certified from the institution where you issued the apostille or from the Korean Consulate/Embassy.

  • [Embassy track applicant] Should I apostille my birth certificate four times?

    Embassy track applicants should submit ONE set of original application document (that includes apostilled/consular-confirmed documents) and THREE sets of photocopied application documents. This means embassy track applicants do not need to have their certificates authenticated four times.

  • How should I submit translated document with apostille?

    All application documents that are not written in Korean or English must be accompanied with a certified translation. If you can only get an apostille/consular-confirmation on your original document, then please submit it with a certified translation. The certified translation does not need to be apostilled/consular-confirmed.

  • Must I submit the certificates of language proficiency (English or Korean) when I apply for GKS?

    The certificate of English proficiency (TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS) or Korean proficiency (TOPIK) is optional, which means you may apply for GKS without it. However, if you are an applicant of a highly competitive country or if you are applying to a certain department, you may be required for a certain level of language proficiency.

  • I am planning to apply for 2022 GKS-G and I have already received a recommendation letter from my university’s professor in March 2021. Can I submit this recommendation letter?

    The recommendation letter should be dated within a year from the very last date of the application deadline. Therefore, if your recommendation letter was issued more than a year from the 2022 GKS-G application submission deadline (set by each Korean embassy or university), you cannot submit that recommendation letter.

  • Should I include a detailed research proposal in the Study Plan?

    Yes. You must at least describe the general direction and outlines of your study plans, if not in full detail. Please elaborate on your study objectives in Korea, tangible plans during and after you complete the degree program.

  • Should I submit my parents’ passport copy?

    It is necessary to submit an official document (i.e., applicant’s birth certificate or family register) that proves you and your parents' relationship. If the document does not include you and your parents' citizenship information, then you should submit additional documents (i.e., passport copy or other government issued document that indicates citizenship information) for proof of citizenship.

  • My father has deceased long time ago, and I cannot provide his proof of citizenship?

    If you are not able to issue your parent(s)’ proof of citizenship due to your parent(s)’ absence (e.g., divorced, deceased, etc.), then please provide supplementary documents that explains the reason for not submitting their proof of citizenship. (e.g., divorce certificate or death certificate).

  • My parents and I hold different citizenship. Am I eligible to apply for the program?

    Yes you may. As long as you and your parent(s) do not hold Korean citizenship, and if you have a citizenship of the country that is invited to the GKS degree program, you are eligible to apply. However, GKS-UIC (University Industry Cooperation) program under the university track is open to all countries around the world.

  • My country is not listed in the application guidelines. Can I apply for the 2023 GKS-U program?

    The quota allocation is decided based on mutual agreements on cultural and educational cooperation between Korea and the participating countries. Even though your country is not listed in the GKS undergraduate degrees program, your country may be listed in the GKS graduate degrees program. All applicants must hold a citizenship of the GKS partner country except for the GKS-UIC program. GKS-UIC program is open to all countries around the world except Korea. Applicants of GKS-UIC program must directly apply to their designated universities since it is only available under a university track.

  • I have studied in Korea as an exchange student. Am I eligible to apply for this program?

    Yes. You are eligible to apply. However, those with a high school diploma issued by a Korean high school (including international school) or those with an associate degree issued by a Korean university are NOT eligible to apply.

  • I have a bachelor’s degree. Can I apply to GKS Undergraduate degrees program (GKS-U) for a bachelor’s degree with a different major?

    No, you are not eligible to apply for the GKS Undergraduate degrees program if you have a bachelor’s degree. If you are interested in pursuing a higher degree, (e.g., master’s degree or doctoral degree), please apply to GKS Graduate degrees program next year.

  • I am planning to graduate from a high school in early March. May I apply for the 2023 GKS-U program?

    No, you are NOT eligible to apply. Only those who have already graduated or are expected to graduate by February 28, 2023, are eligible to apply for the program. All 2023 GKS-U scholars must submit their apostilled or consular confirmed graduation certificate to NIIED by February 28, 2023 along with an official document issued by the embassy (embassy track) or the university (university track).

  • It takes one year in my country to get a diploma after my graduation. Can I apply with my provisional graduation certificate (or provisional degree certificate)?

    Provisional certificates vary by countries and universities, so it is difficult to judge by a single criterion. The document you submit as a graduation certificate, including provisional certificate, must indicate the exact date of your graduation. If your provisional certificate does not clearly indicate your date of graduation (when you have graduated) it will not be accepted as a graduation certificate in the GKS degree program even if it is acknowledged as an official graduation certificate in your own country. Provisional certificate without graduation date will be considered as a certificate of expected graduation. With provisional certificate alone, you may not receive a certificate of admission at a Korean university and may not be able to issue a study visa. Successful candidates who applied with such documents must submit additional graduation certificate by February 28, 2023.

Register! take first step towards your Korean dream.